Connect with us


OFFICIAL: One Reportedly Dead In Clash At Argentina Football Game



OFFICIAL: One Reportedly Dead In Clash At Argentina Football Game

Violent clashes between soccer fans outside Buenos Aires on Thursday broke into the stadium, killing one person and wounding several others as police tried to restore order, authorities said.

Argentinian police fired rubber bullets and tear gas outside a football stadium in La Plata, about 50 kilometres (31 miles) south of Argentina’s capital on Wednesday as they attempted to stop fans from pushing into the already crowded venue.

READ ALSO: BREAKING NEWS: Accra Hearts of Oak Terminates Head Coach Samuel Boadu Contract

As footage from the event shows, unrest continued inside, where shocked spectators were seen squeezing through fencing to escape the violence and get onto the field.

“I can confirm that there is one person dead. This person died of cardiac arrest,” said Sergio Berni, security minister of Buenos Aires province, where the Argentina league first division match took place.

The game was suspended after nine minutes until further notice “due to lack of (security) guarantees,” referee Hernan Mastrangelo said, minutes after the players and technical staff left the pitch for the dressing rooms.

“It affected all of us on the field,” he added. “The air became unbreathable. The situation got out of control and there were no security guarantees.”

Authorities confirmed the death of a 57-year-old man who was being transferred from the stadium to the hospital. He passed away in La Plata after suffering cardiac arrest.

Several fans, including children being led or carried by adults, rushed to get out of the stands and onto the pitch, where people were seen sitting or lying down apparently recovering from tear gas exposure.

READ ALSO: Konadu Yiadom Speaks After Signing For Hearts of Oak

While Boca was looking for a win to return to the premier division, Gimnasia playing its last chance to secure the title at home as the match came at a critical point in the Argentine top-flight league, with four rounds to go.

“What was going to be a party ends in this. It hurts us all what happened, it is tremendous and we regret it,” Boca Juniors manager Hugo Ibarra told reporters.

The deadly violence came five days after a stampede in Indonesia prompted by police firing tear gas inside a packed stadium left at least 131 people dead, including 32 children.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Us